The Doctor Strange theme is oddly similar to 2009’s Star Trek theme

The Doctor Strange theme is oddly similar to 2009’s Star Trek theme

Nov 04 Rob Logan

I went to go see Doctor Strange last night and enjoyed it immensely, but there was one aspect of the movie that pulled me out of the experience repeatedly, and that was the music. Don’t get me wrong, the score is great, but the theme that was conjured up for Doctor Strange (yeah, I just did that) is oddly similar to the theme of 2009’s Star Trek. Every time I heard it I couldn’t help but think of the similarity, and then I understood why when I saw Michael Giacchino’s name appear in the credits, as he served as the composer of both Doctor Strange and Star Trek. I’m certainly no expert in music, so maybe I’m off base here, but I’ll let you be the judge.

Here are some examples of the similarities I heard. First, the main theme of Star Trek

Then, compare that to these two tracks from the Doctor Strange soundtrack that highlight the main theme…

(start around 2:11 if the video doesn’t jump there)

(start around 0:30 if the video doesn’t jump there)

Are you hearing what I’m hearing? Please tell me I’m not crazy.

Some links on this page may be affiliate links. Using these links supports our site and podcast. Thank you.

• Danielle
    Nov 4, 2016 @ 18:48 pm

Just saw the movie myself and I had that exact same reaction. Because of the similarity It took me out of the movie, just as you said! I came looking to see if anyone else had the same reaction! Glad I am not alone!

• Nov 4, 2016 @ 19:05 pm

Thank you! This was my experience as well. Really loved the movie, but the similarity in themes really pulled me out of the experience.

• dorbase
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 2:49 am

Yeah noticed that also, kind of a turn off tbh

• Daniel
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 4:20 am

You’re solidly planted in the middle of home plate. There’s nothing subtle about it – it’s the same base theme using pseudo oriental instruments instead of Western orchestra.

• jana
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 10:34 am

you are not at all crazy. I went with a friend yesterday as well and thought *I* was crazy, and then he said “did you hear the Star Trek theme in there?”

I guess what i would like to know is if it was purposeful, a sort of homage (tho i don’t understand what sort of homage), or unconscious, or if this is simply motifs that he likes and *will* repeat …..

• Josh
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 13:54 pm

I thought the exact same thing. Not uncommon, check 28 Days Later and Kick Ass (Big Daddy Kills)

• Trevor Brady
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 15:11 pm

You’re not crazy, I thought the movie was great but the music was a huge huge distraction for me. All I could think was “They stole the actor AND the soundtrack from Star Trek???” Definitely could’ve been a little more original with the music, even if the soundtrack in itself wasn’t bad.

• Laci
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 17:12 pm

I heard it too. I thought maybe I imagined it. Of course the two themes aren’t identical but they share enough to catch the ear.

• David Ells
    Nov 6, 2016 @ 18:31 pm

Yes this was my thought also which lead me to this page. Hey it works for both movies. But perhaps the composer underestimated an audience’s memory.

• Pat
    Mar 2, 2017 @ 8:52 am

The first time I heard the theme in the film, it was kind of in the background so I thought maybe he was goofing on Benedict being in Star Trek.

Perhaps he can sue himself for royalties?

• Kipper
      May 19, 2017 @ 16:13 pm

HAHA. yesssss I hope he made that connection. I love when movies do that.

• Kipper
    May 19, 2017 @ 16:17 pm

I’ve seen the same thing with Clint Mansell (compare Lux Aeterna- Requiem for a Dream vs. Dead Reckoning- Smokin’ Aces). I think composers have a melody stuck, or maybe the people at Marvel specifically asked him in make it ‘as awesome as Star Trek’s theme”. etc…?

• john mattos
    Sep 25, 2017 @ 15:11 pm

I had the same reaction. I was like.. .hold on… WHO IS THIS!??!! Giacchinoooooooo!!!!!