May’s edition of Nintendo Direct covered the many upcoming games that will be coming to Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Release dates for long awaited games and announcements of new games were revealed. Nintendo’s plan for E3 was also mentioned in the video.
Teaming up with Sega?
- New Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games announced.
- Sonic Lost World – Launching exclusively on 3DS and Wii U.
“SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced details of an exclusive partnership with Nintendo of America Inc. and Nintendo of Europe GmbH for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. The new agreement will make Nintendo consoles the number one destination for Sonic gaming over the next three titles. The first two titles of the deal were announced today via Nintendo Direct, and details of the third Sonic title will be revealed at a later date.” – Sega Blog.
- Sega Game Gear games coming to Wii U Virtual Console
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis On the Move – Recently released and features a level generator to be shared with online. eShop only.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – Will be released May 24th and will feature “New Mode” and new levels. Releasing in Digital and physical forms
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Will be released on June 9th in digital and physical form. The Nintendo Tree house shares their thoughts here.
Wii U Titles
- Game & Wario – Will be released June 23. Retailing for only $39.99. Over 80 new mini games. Interview with production team can be read here.
- Resident Evil Revelations – Moving from 3DS to Wii U. New graphics, New story line, Added characters, new controls, etc… Available in stores and on eShop May 21. Can be played with the GamePad, Pro-Controller, and on the GamePad without the TV on. A demo is currently available on the eShop.
- New Super Luigi U – The MASSIVE DLC package for New Super Mario Bros. U will be available for download June 20th. It redesigns all 80+ levels into a new gaming experience. With Mario out of the picture, Luigi regains his traditional abilities (faster speed, higher jumping, etc…) and the multiplayer mode reflects this. Players can play as Luigi, Yellow Toad and Blue Toad as well as the added character “Nabbit” – a mini boss from the original NSMBU. Interestingly enough, Nabbit cannot use power-ups but is instead immune to all enemies which could be helpful in getting people to join in with this much harder DLC.
Nintendo has also decided to commemorate “The Year Of Luigi” by releasing New Super Luigi U in stand-alone form available in only for a limited time in store starting on August 5th. This allows people who don’t have New Super Mario Bros. U to still be able to play the enhanced versions. The DLC version on June 23 will go for $19.99 and the physical version retails at $29.99.
- Pikmin 3 – Will be released on August 4th. Instead of resusing the original protagonist, the game has 3 new main characters: Alph, Brittany,and Captain Charlie who crash land on the planet while in search of food to save their desolate home planet. The Pikmin decide to help the trio find fruit samples to collect seeds and other things. The game features the ability to split up tasks between characters, thus forming squads to divide the world load. The game can be played using all forms of controls (except for Wii-Mote alone.)
We’ll continue to keep an eye on Nintendo and other companies as the E3 season grows even closer.