Synopsis via IMDB: “A young girl is sent to live with her father and his new girlfriend discovers creatures in her new home who want to claim her as one of their own.”
Written by: Guillermo del Toro
Directed by: Troy Nixey
- Katie Holmes as Kim
- Guy Pierce as Alex
- Bailee Madison as Sally
- Katie Holmes and Bailee Madison’s acting ability shine. You can sense their curiosity, fear, and feeling of hopelessness.
- Set in a Newport, RI mansion. Very creepy and unsettling location.
- Special effects are well done.
- The back story of the “creatures” is intriguing.
- For a movie that runs 1 hour and 30 minutes it really dragged. I was expecting the final 15 minutes to be intense, but they were not.
- Guy Pierce is terrible in this movie. Did he ever take acting lessons?
- An opportunity to build a great back story on the origins of these “creatures” was missed.
- The ending is a let down.
- The creatures themselves are a bit of a letdown. Although different, they also felt familiar. Nothing new here.
- I never felt the suspense.
Final Thought: An opportunity to do something different and explore an untapped sector of horror and suspense was missed. Better luck next time.