Jeff Blake, Chairman of Sony Pictures Worldwide Marketing & Distribution, has announced that the next Spider-Man film will be released in 3D. The studio is aiming for a July 3, 2012 release date. The new film, which is still untitled, will begin production later this year directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt.
In the meantime, it would seem Webb is earning his keep as he’s already met with the Avatar team to discuss 3D filming. Avatar producer Jon Landau told MTV that last week himself and James Cameron met with Webb.
“Last [week] we met the director of [the next ‘Spider-Man’ film],” Landau said. “[Webb] wants to do the next one in 3D, which they’ve announced that they want to do. So, we want to try to support that as much as possible.”
Landau added that both he and Cameron have a firm belief that filmmakers should know if their film will be in 3-D before they shoot — not at some later date.
“Other movies are turning to it now, some of which I agree with, some of which I don’t agree with. Clash of The Titans is coming out in 3-D; they’re converting it very hastily into 3-D. I’m not in favor if that,” Landau explained, saying he and Cameron much prefer what Spider-Man is doing. “If you want to shoot a 3-D movie, shoot it in 3-D.”
ITS SIMPLE! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
First impressions are always good, BUT, 10 years later (2002) they want to start ALL-OVER-AGAIN? WHY?! Are they not HAPPY with the first three (like Warner Bros. wasn’t happy with Tim Burton’s and Jerry Bruckheimer’s BATMAN FRANCHISE)?
Whether its due to aging of the CAST (similar to Batman’s Michael Keaton, etc), is it too soon to say TOO SOON?!
As fans of these movies, we grew up quickly loving Tobey Maguire as Spider-man as well as having Sam Raimi as Director, and many do believe that they both have plenty of years ahead of them to recapture their respective rolls. All Sam Raimi needs to do is STAY AWAY from SCREENWRITING and leave that to others.
We have lived 16 years (from 1989 to 2005) before seeing a RE-BOOT of BATMAN! I believe the team of Columbia Pictures, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin were NOT happy with the negative fan reactions to Spider-Man 3 along with some of us doubting the Cast included.
If they can RE-BOOT three movies from scratch, that’s a lot of dough. But there can be a lot of BACKLASH if THIS decision turns-out to be a bad one.
OLD CAST vs NEW CAST maybe the future topic of discussion after the release of Sony’s first RE-BOOT. If the Spider-Man REBOOT is going to be closely related to his High School years (pre-Spider-Man)
…and why would I want to see THIS in 3D?! No Action, Lots of Drama. Twilight-Meets-High-School-Musical? GOD HELP US ALL! That in-itself sounds dreadful and/or terrible. And, please DON NOT have any of the mentioned below in the film; this is WHY they’re doing a REBOOT. If any of the following are in, they might as well CAN the whole thing: Micheal Cera, Penn Badgley, Adam Brody, Chace Crawford, Thomas Dekker, Zac Efron, Emile Hirsch, Shia LaBeouf, James Lafferty, Chad Michael Murray, Ed Westwick, Anton Yelchin, Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Sophia Bush, Miley Cyrus, Kat Dennings, Hilary Duff, Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Taylor Momsen, Ellen Page, Emma Roberts, Jessica Szohr, and Evan Rachel Wood.
Are you aware of Blake Lively’s role in Green Lantern? Will you avoid that as a result?